I'm not going to tell you anything today that you don't already know. For example:
- I love Matt Hasselbeck, he's my favorite current Seahawk, and one of my 3 or 4 favorite Seahawks of all time.
- I think the Seahawks should re-sign Hasselbeck, particularly if the QB is willing to stay in Seattle with a "hometown discount" kind of contract.
- Despite my abiding admiration and adoration of Hasselbeck, we need to find his eventual replacement as soon as possible (and it aint Charlie Whitehurst).
XLV really jolted me out of a bit of complacency regarding the QB situation in Seattle- Hasselbeck's two good-to-great playoff performances lulled me into the idea that it wasn't essential to get our next QB in this offseason, that we should only get a QB if it's "the right fit."
Aaron Rodger's performance reminded me of an elemental truth of the NFL game: It's a quarterbacks' league. Teams with elite QBs have the best shot at winning championships, and teams without them are taking on an almost impossible uphill struggle. I was already familiar with Rodgers' skills, but seeing him unleash bolts of pure passing perfection on the game's biggest stage over and over inspired two reactions within me:
1. Matt Hasselbeck can't make throws like that
2. We need to find someone who can
I truly believe that Seattle can be competitive in 2011, and even a playoff team again, with a healthy Hasselbeck under center- But to reach the pinnacle of the sport, to hoist that trophy? It's hard to see how Matthew gets us there. He can be a bridge to the future, but as Marcellus Wallace said to Butch in Pulp Fiction: "You came close, but you never made it. If you were going to make it, it would have happened already."
Aaron Rodgers was the 24th pick in the 1st round back in 2005. Seattle has the 25th pick this April, but they shouldn't just be passive and hope a QB drops to them there. Need to trade up to get the right QB? Do it. The QB you like isn't in the draft? Make a trade for Matt Flynn or Kevin Kolb, etc. I'm not an NFL scout; My opinion about who the next Seahawks QB should be is relatively ill-informed. But I know we need to go out and get THAT GUY, and we need to do it this spring.
The Packers are very good team, but still a 10-6 team that is tied for the worst record EVER for a Super Bowl Champion. They are champs today because of Aaron Rodgers.
Go get our Aaron Rodgers, Pete Carroll.