May 27, 2008
DKSB's Jersey Buying Guide
Seahawk Addicts recently posted about jerseys, which is a matter close to my heart. I've always felt the only appropriate thing to wear on gameday is a Seahawks jersey, and I've also preferred a jersey as the best way to "represent" for the Hawks out here in the wilderness of the midwest.
First, my rules for jersey wearing:
1. No personalized jerseys... I'm not on the team, no matter how much I'd love to be.
2. Never tuck in your jersey... Kinda makes you look like a douche.
3. If a player is traded or leaves in free agency, etc... You can't wear the jersey until the player retires from the NFL.
4. At least for me, no #12 Fan jerseys... It's a nice idea, but it also seems like a cop-out, i.e. you don't want to take the risk of buying a current player's jersey.
Right now I own two Hasselbeck jerseys (a semi-authentic and a replica), a Big Walt jersey and a Largent semi-authentic throwback... I've got room for another jersey, and I might buy one this summer... But who? I have rules for that too.
1. Pick someone who just signed a nice, LOOOOONG contract. Avoid players with 2 years or less on their deals... I got burned buying a Josh Brown jersey last year, for example.
2. Try to be unique, but not just for its own sake. If Hasselbeck is your favorite player (he is mine), it doesn't make you a bandwagoner to get his jersey. My #8 home semi-authentic is what I wear on most game days. However, I think it's really cool whenever I see someone wearing a lineman's jersey (offensive or defensive). You'd have to pry my Walter Jones jersey from my cold dead hands.
If I get to buy a jersey this year, I'll probably get a Marcus Trufant replica... He's A) Awesome B) Just signed a long-term deal, and C) Is a Tacoma/Wazzu northwest homeboy.
How about y'all? What are your jersey rules? What jerseys do you have? What are you gonna buy this summer?