August 26, 2010

A Creeping Sense of Impending Doom

I don't know if I've ever been more nervous before a preseason game than I am right now. Every time I close my eyes, all I see is Wrotto missing an assignment, and E.J. Henderson (that fucker is back) tearing up Hasselbeck's knee... but this time he finishes the job. Beck ends up out for the year, and the Seahawks' 2010 season will be Boom. Roasted.

Because I'm not sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting for Saint Jake to arrive in 2011. I want to win THIS YEAR, and our best chance to do that is with a healthy, unspoiled, upright Hasselbeck under center. I'm out of the broadcast area for Saturday's game, but I'm sure I'll find it streaming somewhere online... For the first time I can remember, a BIG part of me doesn't want to watch.

I feel like Adrian before Rocky fought Ivan Drago. I almost want to scream at Pete Carroll "You can't win!" I CERTAINLY would prefer that Beck not even take the field Saturday. We KNOW he's ready for the Niners in week 1; Why not give Whitehurst 4 quarters and see what we've got?

But I know that's kind of a wuss move, and won't happen. I also know (in this case thankfully) that my instincts, my gut, are wrong A LOT. Adrian was wrong about that Drago fight, and my pissing-myself anxiety is probably unjustified.

Still, I'll be watching with my eyes half covered. Be safe, Matthew. Be safe, Seahawks. Make it to the games that count.

To cheer us all up, here's the training montage from Rocky IV:



and a picture of me with my daughter Lily from earlier today

3 comments:

Ramona P. said...

Fuck! That youtube clip cut off the end of the montage! I needed to see Rocky lose his KGB tail, run up that mountain, and scream DRAAAAAAGO! DRAAAAAAGGGGGO!

bleedshawkblue said...

We should all re-grow our mullets now in Rocky 4's honor. Maybe it will conjure the ghosts of the Chuck Knox era.

Still preseason, ladies and gents, still preseason. Nothing to worry about...except all that stuff we've been worrying about.

bleedshawkblue said...

Priceless picture of Our Little Messenger to the Future, there, O Bearded One. Please give her and Mama all love and respect on our behalf.

Can she say "Average Seahawk margin of victory over Shittsburg in the last 10 Super Bowls (2011-2021) was 50 points" yet?