September 11, 2010

Saturday Update

I'm heading over to Seattle today, and my internet access might be spotty. I'll be at the game, though, and be tweeting and posting pics over at my DKSB17 twitter account.

A quick, personal September 11, 2001 story:

My future wife and I went to the Seahawks/Browns game in Cleveland on 9/9/01. President Bush did the coin toss via satellite, and he was VICIOUSLY booed by the fans at Cleveland Browns Stadium. This wasn't shocking to me, given that Cleveland is a Democratic stronghold, but given Bush's spectacular boost in popularity two days later, it's an odd little historical artifact.

Seahawks win... Woo!

I flew out west to my parents' place in the Tri-Cities on 9/10/01. The plan was to spend a few days at home, then go over to Seattle to see my college peeps and catch the Seahawks/Chiefs game at Husky Stadium.

Things didn't go according to plan.

About 6 am, I woke up with my body still on eastern time. I turned on the TV, which was on the Weather Channel from the night before. I watched for about 60 seconds, and they were talking about some weird event taking place in New York.. Still half asleep, I was flummoxed. Then my fiancée called, and frantically told me to turn on the news.

I did, just in time to watch the second plane hit. It still is beyond my comprehension that millions watched thousands die on live television that morning. My trip continued under the dark could of national tragedy and mass murder on an unspeakable scale, with the Seahawks game understandably postponed until January.

I don't want to make any overt political statements today, other than restating my belief that we best honor the victims of these attacks by maintaining and protecting our basic liberties rather than curtailing them.

As the Brits said during the Nazi blitz: Keep Calm and Carry On.

1 comment:

bleedshawkblue said...

Right on the money yet again, O Bearded Brother Mine.

Best thing we can all do is live lives worth loving, so all who seek to keep their own from doing the same will be spurned by those they seek to suppress. And it'll work on the terrorists, too.

Here's to Uncle Pete's dynasty owning the NFL so hard that Qwest bows down and pays to rename it Pete Carroll Stadium.