July 16, 2008

DKSB is coming home (as the enemy)

My son and I are flying out to the northwest tomorrow (with my wife set to join us next week in the Tri), and we're not just going out there to show Jack off to my side of the family, or to just hang out with my friends from Western. Yes, I timed the trip so I could catch a couple of Red Sox games at Safeco early next week.

We've had the discussion about rooting for Non-Northwest teams in this space before, and I'm not super-eager to rehash it. Like I've said before, if the Seahawks are my loving, caring, stable sports "wife," the Red Sox are my smoking hot, slutty, freaky-deaky sports "mistress." I've been a Red Sox fan for over 20 years now, and the Golden Ages of both my sports obsessions are overlapping nicely.

Check this out:

Seahawks & Red Sox 1983-2002

-11 total playoff appearances (in 40 combined seasons)
-5 combined MLB playoff series wins/NFL playoff wins
-1 combined World Series/Super Bowl appearance
-0 World Championships

Seahawks & Red Sox 2003-2007

-9 total playoff appearances (in 10 combined seasons)
-11 combined MLB playoff series wins/NFL playoff wins
-3 combined World Series/Super Bowl appearances
-2 World Championships

If I could somehow trade Boston's two World Series wins for a Seahawks Super Bowl victory I would, but until someone hands me a magic monkey paw I'm gonna just keep enjoying both these great teams I lucked into supporting.

I'm also going to the M's/Indians game on Sunday, and I'll be rooting for Seattle that afternoon (because seriously... Fuck Cleveland). But I'll be wearing my Hasselbeck jersey and Red Sox hat, just so everyone knows the score. Will Beck pull a LeBron and show up decked out in Sawx gear? I doubt it. Even if he attends a game, I assume he'll be a bit more discreet than King James...

Unless something big and/or weird happens in Seahawks land that demands my attention, the next time I post will be on pacific time, y'all.

No comments: