September 25, 2008

Bronko Nagurski Didn't Get No Bye Weeks.. and Now He's Dead.

Weird stat of the day: Since the NFL put bye weeks into the regular season back in 1990, the Hawks have been dominant in games immediately before the bye, and absolutely craptacular following the week off.

Before the bye: 16-4

After the bye: 5-14


Among those post-bye losses was the most horrifying, brain-melting regular season loss in team history... As I wrote back in 2004:

To paraphrase the great Egon Spengler: “Sorry Venkman.. I’m disappointed beyond the capacity for rational thought.” You may know my Seahawks blew a 27-10 4th quarter lead to the hated Rams to lose in OT 33-27, and in this space right now I’m in no frame of mind to rationally analyze what went wrong. All I can tell you that this is the most crushing defeat I can ever remember in my 22 seasons following this team. Tonight the Seahawks made me cry for the first time since I was 13 (the 88 playoff loss at Cincinnati), and I feel like my insides were scooped out and fed to Mike Martz while I was forced to watch.


I don't have a good theory about why Seattle is so great before the bye but so feeble after it. Hopefully Holmgren can figure this out before we go play NYG. What do you guys think the problem is?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dksb- hey man just want to say love the site. dave kriegs strike beard is freakin genius!!! keep up the good work and go hawks