December 19, 2008

The Streak Ends: October 23, 1983 - December 14, 2008

I've seen the last 423 games the Seahawks have played (I've attended 47 games, and the rest I watched on live TV).

Cal Ripken aint got shit on me, y'all. But just like that streak had to end, so does mine. Our flights to the Tri-Cities for Xmas would only really work out on Sunday, so I'll be in the air while the Seahawks and Jets are hashing things out.

423 games. 215 wins. 208 losses. Every fall weekend over the last 25 years, I've devoted at least three hours to the Seahawks. In that time:


-We've had four different US Presidents.

-The Earth's population increased by 2 billion people.

-Barack Obama graduated from Columbia University in 1983, and rose to the US Presidency while I was inseparably glued to my Seahawks.

-R.E.M. released 14 studio albums

So while I know other people haven't had the opportunity to start or maintain a streak like that, I'm still pretty melancholy about it ending.

By the way... The first person who says "why don't you just tape it?" is going to get my DVR shoved up their corn chute.

It's. Not. The. Same!

Too cheer myself up, here's R.E.M. on Letterman from 1983...

2 comments:

KB said...

Well, if tomorrow night's coming storm has anything to say about it, you might be able to keep your streak.

Ramona P. said...

Well, that would probably mean I get stuck in Minneapolis, and still miss the game.

Double bonus! :-]