September 1, 2009

One (Meaningless) Vote for Keeping Deion Branch


"Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends. My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or ill before this is over. The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many."

-Galdalf, The Fellowship of the Ring (Yes, I am a total loserdork)

I know that I'm indirectly comparing Deion Branch to Gollum here, but bear with me.

A metric shitload of Seahawks fans see little or no value in Deion Branch right now. You can't go onto a Hawks message board without seeing howling calls of "trade DB!" or "cut Branch." Of course he hasn't lived up to the hype that came with his arrival early in the 2006 season, and up to this point he clearly hasn't been worth that first round pick.

However, I can't shake the feeling that at some key moment this season, we'll be glad DB is still wearing Seahawks blue. After all, the guy has come up huge in the postseason before. Like the old bearded guy said, even the wise cannot see all ends, and if there are ANY injuries in our WR corps, or if Deon Butler's learning curve is steep... and on and on... we're gonna need #83 to be making play for US, not someone else.

That's just what my gut tells me. He also tells me to eat the whole fucking bag of doritos, too... so he may not be trustworthy. I call him Chubra.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say half of these "cut branch" people are the same ones who let "Timmay!" roll off their keyboard in every post. We need to keep him and see where it goes. After last year's debacle, I can't believe someone would suggest otherwise.

Q*bert said...

Agreed. Depth is key in the NFL. And Deon Butler will need time learn from coaches, and from veterans like Branch.

Byron said...

+1...all these schmucks yammering to cut him have unbelievably short memories. Last season proved that depth is crucial, and while I love our WR crew, frankly I'd prefer greater depth. We've got three starting studs, but as GunnarZeke says, Butler needs time.